Among my friends, “Pinterest” is tossed around as if it is just one of the girls. “Where did you find that recipe?” On Pinterest. “What a cute party decoration!” Pinterest. “You are so creative!” Or someone on Pinterest is. Some just pin, some actually DO the things they pin. The bottom line is, with 10 million unique monthly visitors to Pinterest, as the 3rd most popular social networking site, it’s definitely a resource to be used. More than half of Pinterest users have children, and they spend roughly a nap time a day – 1 hour, 17 minutes – “pinning” great ideas with the best of intentions.
So how can we use Pinterest in our ministry? I’ve often compared the HomeFront Monthly magazine to a “pinterest” of all of the best environment ideas for the month, so I started thinking about HOW Pinterest could be used to further ministry to families. Here are a few ideas:
- Start a Pinterest account for your family ministry. Pin ideas for parents of teenagers, children, infants, and invite parents to “follow” you.
- Advertise your newly made Pinterest account in your church’s moms’ group or women’s group – statistics say that 97% of Pinterest users are women.
- Where to find ideas to pin? Blogs are an easy place to start, but you can also take your own pictures of things and load them onto a photo hosting site to be able to pin them, or pin links on your church’s website that will send families to the things you want them to see.
- Organize your pins by the 10 environments to give parents a supplement to the HomeFront monthly.
- Find some Pinterest enthusiasts that you trust and invite them to pin to your boards – you can make boards into “group boards” and allow select people to add to the board. It’s a great volunteer opportunity for a parent who may not want to serve in a classroom.
Leveraging Pinterest as a tool to encourage and equip parents may be one of the best uses of social media for family ministry. Consider how you could encourage Pinterest users toward new ideas for creating the ten environments in their homes!